[plt-scheme] backwards compatibility and planet libraries

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 10 11:28:09 EST 2005

At Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:18:27 -0500, David Herman wrote:
> > Clear the linkage table and you should be okay. Why do you need to
> > rerun setup-plt?
>
> I was getting weird errors about the zos, that they weren't providing
> required names. Rerunning setup-plt seemed to fix this.

If a module provides macro-introduced identifiers (including when a
module uses `provide/contract'), then when the content of the module is
changed, there's a good chance that recompiling will generate different
symbolic names for macro-introduced identifiers. So, anything that
imports the module will need to be recompiled.

So, if I'm following correctly, that explains why you need to re-run
Setup PLT. Upgrading a planet library will usually make it necessary to
recompile clients of the library.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.