[plt-scheme] backwards compatibility and planet libraries

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 9 12:13:17 EST 2005

The planet docs say that you should bump the major revision whenever you
break backwards compatibility. Clearly this is right when you remove or
modify a part of the interface, so that if planet automatically updates
to a newer minor version, it doesn't suddenly break some other code that
depends on it.

What about *adding* new functionality? Given that planet often refuses
to update the minor version, if some code depends on a newer minor
version because it has new functionality, but planet won't update to the
newer version, that code will be broken.

Does this mean I should up the major version even when I add
conservative extensions to the interface?

Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.