[plt-scheme] Building DrScheme on OpenBSD

From: Henry Lenzi (henry.lenzi at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 1 21:37:33 EST 2005

Hello --

 Please, I'm not able to build plt-scheme 209 from sources on OpenBSD 3.6.
 Apperently, it install mzscheme, but drscheme cannot be initialized.
Apparently, there's a problem with the png ang jpeg libraries.
 This may be due to where file are in OpenBSD. A lot of files that are
in /usr/include in Linux, are in /usr/include/local, e.g.,
/usr/local/include/libpng/png.h. This is because BSDs are not GNU
systems, they have they're own C libraries etc.
 The problem seems to be finding these files. I am not a C hacker,
just a beginning Scheme student. I haven't got around to grokking
makefiles.

 The build process complains about png.h and jpeglib.h. On my system
(OpenBSD), these are found in:

/usr/local/include/libpng/png.h
/usr/local/include/jpeglib.h

  Can you please help me?
  Thanks in advance.
  Regards,
     Henry

# ./configure --prefix=/home/s/plt/ --enable-shared
----> Installation will go to /home/s/plt/:
---->   /home/s/plt//collects/...
---->   /home/s/plt//bin/...
---->   /home/s/plt//lib/...
---->   /home/s/plt//include/...
---->   /home/s/plt//man/...
---->   /home/s/plt//notes/...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
checking for inline keyword... yes
checking whether C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether new and new[] are different... yes
checking whether need to use -fpermissive... no
checking whether X11/XKBlib.h is available... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h usability... yes
checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h presence... yes
checking for X11/extensions/Xrender.h... yes
checking for XRenderQueryExtension in -lXrender... yes
Using xft-config...
Xft flags: -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2
-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
Xft libs: -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXft -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfontconfig -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXrender
checking png.h usability... no
checking png.h presence... no
checking for png.h... no
no libpng headers installed; building from PLT copy
checking jpeglib.h usability... no
checking jpeglib.h presence... no
checking for jpeglib.h... no
no libjpeg headers installed; building from PLT copy
Configuring libtool
checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.6
checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.6
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... file_magic ELF
[0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB shared object
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 65536
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc static flag  works... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... openbsd3.6 ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... openbsd3.6 ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g77 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... openbsd3.6 ld.so
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/src/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/dynsrc/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/gc/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/sgc/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/gc2/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/guile/Makefile
config.status: creating mzscheme/palm/Makefile
config.status: creating mred/Makefile
config.status: creating mred/wxs/Makefile
config.status: creating mred/wxme/Makefile
config.status: creating mred/gc2/Makefile
config.status: creating wxcommon/libpng/Makefile
config.status: creating wxcommon/zlib/Makefile
config.status: creating wxxt/src/Makefile
config.status: creating wxxt/src/x/Makefile
config.status: creating wxxt/utils/image/src/Makefile
config.status: creating wxxt/contrib/xpm/lib/Makefile
configure: configuring in wxcommon/jpeg
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/home/synthesp/plt/
'--prefix=/home/synthesp/plt/' '--enable-shared'
--cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking for function prototypes... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for type unsigned char... yes
checking for type unsigned short... yes
checking for type void... yes
checking for working const... yes
checking for inline... __inline__
checking for broken incomplete types... ok
checking for short external names... ok
checking to see if char is signed... yes
checking to see if right shift is signed... yes
checking to see if fopen accepts b spec... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.6
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... -static
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking dynamic linker characteristics... openbsd3.6 ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking for objdir... .libs
creating libtool
checking libjpeg version number... 62
creating ./config.status