[plt-scheme] Re: call/cc and memory consumption

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 20 10:19:49 EDT 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 9:35 AM, David Van Horn wrote:

> Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>> David, I was wrong; your loop doesn't hang on to non-control memory.
>> Sorry. But mzscheme's memory consumption stabilizes for the above
>> tight loop after a couple of rounds so I am not sure how the problem
>> could show up. -- Matthias
>
> I see the memory usage climb to around 377 MB pretty quickly, then it
> grows at slow rate of about 100MB/coffee trip across campus (at this
> point it is using swap space).  As far as I can tell it doesn't
> stabilize, and definitely not in a couple rounds.  (This is on a
> Sparc, running 299.101)

I ran the experiment in 209.

Now I am running it 299.106-svn17jun2005, on Max OS X 10.3.9 with a 1
GB machine, almost 2 years old. It reached 293.44 MB in a few seconds
(going up and down) and has been running at this level for almost 15
minutes now. This is real memory. Virtual memory is at 483.96, also
totally stable.

This confirms my intuition into how Matthew's kernel deals with
continuations, tail-calls, and memory. BUT, it doesn't say anything
about how he ported it to UNIX.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.