[plt-scheme] The Stepper

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 15 18:25:21 EDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Stephen Bloch wrote:

> I've been kvetching from time to time for a couple of years that
> DrScheme's Stepper only applies to the Definitions window; there's no
> way to single-step an expression you've typed in the Interactions
> window.  It feels much more natural to me for "single-stepping" to be
> a mode, orthogonal to the question of whether you're executing a batch
> of expressions in the definitions window or a single expression in the
> interactions window.  So Saturday night after the TeachScheme!
> workshop, I started writing up a possible specification (state
> diagrams and all that) for how I think the GUI should behave with
> respect to single-stepping.
>
> So here's my question.  Is the Stepper about to be replaced by
> something rich and strange, perhaps based on MzTake?  If so, is it a
> waste of my time to specify how I think the Stepper should behave?  (
> I suspect that even if the Stepper is replaced, it'll still need a
> beginner-friendly interface with some resemblance to the current
> Stepper, and that should probably be independent of which window
> you're executing from.)

1. I have always wanted what you suggest. The stepper as it works now
has been a stop-gap for, oh, 7 or 8 years now.

2. Do so and get paid for it. See the NYC-based Lisp challenge for
Google Coding during the summer.

3. We are also reorganizing the stepper but we are focusing on the
backend and other languages for now.

Posted on the users mailing list.