[plt-scheme] (string->symbol string) not working with MrEd

From: Luis Coronado (guaiacum at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 5 18:17:18 EDT 2005

Dear plt-list, I have the following problem with a piece of code I'm
writing and I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

I have a dialog with some controls some of which are choice% objects. I
use this code to retrieve the values given by the user:

note: "tipo_lados" is an choice% object I defined somewhere else in the

I send the object the following messages:

> (send tipo_lados get-string-selection)

This is ok, and exactly what I wanted. But now I want to change that
string into a symbol, so:

> (string->symbol (send tipo_lados get-string-selection))

And that is the first time I see this. Is that a symbol? yes it is:
> (symbol? (string->symbol (send tipo_lados get-string-selection)))

But is that symbol the same as converting the same string "hospital"
returned by the get-string-selection method from the tipo_lados choice%
object with (string->symbol "hospital")?:

> (string->symbol "hospital")

> (equal? (string->symbol "hospital") (string->symbol (send tipo_lados

I don't understand why that fails if it is the same string. Unless the
string returned by the choice% object is different in some way.

I'm using drscheme 209 linux x86 (Graphical (MrEd, includes MzScheme))

Any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

Luis Coronado Chacón
Ingeniero Forestal
Estudiante de pre grado - Ingeniería en Computación
Departamento de Computación
Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica
Cartago, Costa Rica

Posted on the users mailing list.