[plt-scheme] General protocol for breaking the trunk :-)

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 20 05:04:20 EDT 2005

I can see there will be a lot of changes from strings to
bytes in anything that deals with the web.  For example,
I've changed the uri-codec (but have yet to commit).  I'm
just getting up to speed on svn, so a question:

If I commit the changed uri-codec to the trunk I will break
many things -- at least the web-server, help-desk.  So,
should I work on a separate branch?  This branch will exist
for a long time, as I don't have the time to fix the
web-server and help-desk in a short period.  So this branch
may get out of sync with the rest of the tree (e.g. Jay's
changes).  So perhaps branching isn't a good idea.
Suggestions?  The only alternative I can see is we create
one branch (called, say, bytes) for all the work shifting
the web infrastructure to use bytes.  Then we can hack away
at a leisurely pace, and not worry about breakage or
merges.

Ta,
Noel

AIM: noelhwelsh