[plt-scheme] Planet question

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 9 16:14:21 EDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Jacob Matthews wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Matt Jadud wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I downloaded 299.100 for OS X, installed the binary package, and
>> thought "Hey! I'd like to try Neil's Levenshtein distance library.
>>
>> In the "Textual, Mzscheme includes R5RS" (and Pretty Big) languages I
>> get the response
>>
>> planet: Could not find matching package in: (planet "levenshtein.ss"
>> ("neil" "levenshtein.plt" 1 0))
>>
>> which strikes me as odd---I assume the planet.plt-scheme.org page is
>> auto-generated, and therefore accurately reflects what is in the
>> Planet repository.
>
> Yes, that's right. The problem is that now that you've upgraded to
> 299.100, you can't access the packages in the version 200 repository
> anymore -- the version 299.x/300 repository has different stuff. (We
> split it up this way because there were a lot of changes between the
> 20x series and the 300 series, and there's a good chance that a
> library written for 200 won't work in 299/300.)

Jacob, how much work would it be to change the error message for
299.100 so that it explains this problem. Something like "You are
requiring a planet package that exists for v209 but not for 299.100.
Please visit http:// ... to check the status of planet."

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.