[plt-scheme] Running PLT old software on Linux 2.6 kernels

From: Jean-Baka Domelevo (domelevo at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 18:16:18 EST 2005

I'm so happy !
Thanks a lot, you great Philippe. Really, your advice has worked as
said : Senora GC instead of Bohem GC, a compilation with gcc-3.2
better than 3.3 and a very few fixes and I'm done. Thanks again. In
French I would say that "je te dois une fière chandelle".
JB, Paris.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:50:27 -0500, Philippe Meunier
<meunier at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Jean-Baka Domelevo wrote:
> >I'm exhausted. For educational and professional reasons, I have to
> >make DrScheme 103p1 work on a 2.6 linux kernel (I am running a
> >Debian). The problem is that my 103p1 (the one proposed as a binary
> >package on the PLT website) segfaults immediately when launched on
> >that kernel. My previous kernel was a 2.4, where the PLT 103p1
> >software ran fine. Can anybody provide an explanation about that ?
> >Thanks.
> >
> >P.S. I precise that *any* PLT 103p1 soft (mred, mzscheme, etc) behaves
> >similarly.
>
> I also recently had to compile 103p1 on a 2.6 linux kernel and got the
> same result.  After playing with it a little bit I discovered that the
> problem seems to be with the GC and that if you run "configure" with
> the right flag to use the Senora GC instead of the default Boehm GC
> you should be fine.  From what I remember you might also have to fix a
> few things in a C++ file somewhere but gcc was kind enough to tell me
> where and how, so it wasn't really a problem.
>
> Philippe

Posted on the users mailing list.