[plt-scheme] Scheme UK Meeting: 9 February 2005

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 11:43:01 EST 2005

          Scheme UK Meeting: 9 February 2005

The next meeting of the Scheme UK user's group will be held
on Wednesday, 9 February 2005 from 7pm till we leave for
the
pub.  The meeting will take place at the offices of LShift
(see http://www.lshift.net/contact.html for directions).
This meeting will be held in conjuction with UK Lispers.

Laurence Tratt: The Converge programming language

Converge is a dynamic object orientated programming
language
with compile-time meta-programming facilities and an
extendable syntax, designed and implemented by Laurence
Tratt. Mixing influences from Python, Icon, Template
Haskell, ObjVLisp, and others, into a coherent whole,
Converge is a powerful and modern programming language.
More
information and early implementations can be found at
http://convergepl.org/.

In this talk, I will present an overview of Converge, with
particular emphasis on its more novel aspects such as
compile-time meta-programming and its extendable syntax. I
will conclude with a list of some of the lessons learned
from designing and implementing such features into Converge
that could be applied to similar programming languages.

Laurence Tratt is a Teaching Fellow in the Department of
Computer Science at King's College London. He is an active
member of the OMG, and a member of the IEEE Software
Industry Advisory Board. His current research interests
include model transformations, domain specific languages,
and programming language design and implementation. His
homepage is http://tratt.net/laurie/.

Scheme UK is a UK based group of people interested in the
Scheme programming language in particular, and advanced
programming languages in general.  We are interested in
both practical and theoretic aspects.  We meet on the
first Wednesday of each month.  Newcomers are welcome.

For more details see:

  http://schematics.sourceforge.net/scheme-uk/

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com