[plt-scheme] Planet vs firewalls

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 20 08:40:54 EST 2005

Noel Welsh wrote:

>I expect a lot of people will have this problem as PLT
>expands to encompass the Known World of programming:
>
>Error downloading module from PLaneT server: tcp-connect:
>connection to planet.plt-scheme.org, port 270 failed (at
>step 4: Connection timed out; errno=110)
>
>Which translates into: the local firewall blocks port 270.
>It would be must easier if Planet listened on port 80,
>which is almost always open.

I considered this. The problem with this approach is that
planet.plt-scheme.org runs both the planet service and the web-server,
and anyway I wouldn't be particularly happy contributing to the general
trend of treating port 80 as the Universal Every-Protocol Port.

In PLaneT: The Next Generation (AKA PLaneT for v300) there will be a
better way to test planet files before submitting them.

-jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.