[plt-scheme] web server scalability

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:32:51 EST 2005

>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

Matthias> Yes, Sperber's group at Tuebingen has a server in Scheme 48
Matthias> (scsh). They can explain to you in gory detail why theirs is better
Matthias> than ours. But we are older and more experienced and have no hair
Matthias> anymore :-)

That would be the SUnet server at

http://www.scsh.net/sunet/

which is indeed better in some ways.  (It's also older by I'd say
about 4 years; it's authors are also mostly older than the authors of
the PLT web server, but none of us is as ancient as Matthias, of
course.)

The SUnet server is configurable in many more ways than the PLT web
server, and also includes an infrastructure for something analogous to
servlets.  (We call 'em surflets, I believe.)  It also uses lots less
memory per session than the PLT server.

Both the PLT server and SUnet have been used for production web sites,
albeit not with gigantic hit rates.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike