[plt-scheme] line/column counting for output ports

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 17:56:31 EST 2005

At Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:17:11 -0500, Doug Orleans wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why line and column counting can only be
> enabled for input ports and not output ports?

I can't think of a reason in principle. In practice, I guess it's just
because DrScheme hasn't needed counting on output ports.

It bothers me that counting is built into input ports, actually,
because counting seems like an orthogonal feature. For now, convenience
has overridden my reservations on the input side.

For the output side, I'd recommend creating a custom port wrapper that
adds counting to a given output port.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.