[plt-scheme] Why is Planet better than PLT archives?

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 14:54:27 EST 2005

On 12/29/05, Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> > And, what, if there's no internet connection? At my
> > work I noticed that (require (planet ...)) will yield
> > an unrecoverable error when not connected to the
> > internet, which I think cannot be acceptable.
>
> PLaneT only goes out to the internet if the package the user requires
> isn't locally available. If you ask for a package that isn't on your
> local system and you have no internet connection with which to get
> it, that seems like a perfectly legitimate situation in which to
> yield an unrecoverable error.

  I agree that it makes sence to throw the error message, but I seem to get
the error message too often.  Would it make sence to write a (planet sync)
function/button that just grabs the entire planet archive, and keeps the
files in the cache (dosn't install, just keeps the installers)?  (and the
planet is not that big :)

I wrote a shell script for myself before that pulled all the package names
off the web page index, and got a copy, but I'm use there's a way that's
easier to use.

Corey

-jacob

((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))