[plt-scheme] Why is Planet better than PLT archives?

From: Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema (hdnews at gawab.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 17:14:53 EST 2005

Jacob Matthews schreef:

Thanks for your answers,

> On Dec 29, 2005, at 10:36 AM, Hans Oesterholt-Dijkema wrote:
>

> (That said, I think it would be possible to arrange things slightly
> differently so that all library-type requirements would be handled
> the same way --- but that way would have to be something more like
> that planet way than the current library way.)

One could also make the require lib mechanism a littlebit more
intelligent, doing things somewhat more
implicit, filling in gaps...

>> I also noticed that a plt package for --all-users, when
>> installed with 'planet --file ...' will get installed in the
>> plt scheme system collects directories.
>

> That's correct. The planet tools are designed to work only with
> themselves; you'll get surprising results if you try to mix the
> planet tools with .plt files created in other ways.

Ok, I'll have to be carefull creating packages. I did notice some
problems with pre-compiled c files and
provided c files though.

> PLaneT only goes out to the internet if the package the user requires
> isn't locally available. If you ask for a package that isn't on your
> local system and you have no internet connection with which to get
> it, that seems like a perfectly legitimate situation in which to
> yield an unrecoverable error.

I'm not sure of that. I had installed the package using planet --file
(even in the right location (i.e. in the planet cache)). I still wanted
to connect
to the planet archives using port 80. I'll investigate this further.

Thanks,
Hans

> -jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.