[plt-scheme] Using PLaneT (was: Why is Planet better than PLT archives?)

From: Bill Wood (william.wood3 at comcast.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 12:08:02 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:18 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
   . . .
> The `require' form should be sufficient.  You can also get packages
> through the command line tool.
   . . .
> Packages often contain several files with multiple modules, and the
> whole thing will be fetched.  Some modules may require other planet
> packages, which will be fetched automatically (by the same `require'
> form that are part of the first package).
   . . .
> No -- planet keeps its files in the user's private area.  It is a
> per-user tool, not a per-installation.  If you have several users on a
> single machine which use a shared plt installation, each user will
> have their own planet cahce.

I'm impressed -- it worked first time!  Nothing *ever* works first
time :-)

On a related note:  I downloaded/installed v.300 yesterday (also went
smoothly) and I discovered that the "planet" command-line tool was
in /usr/local/plt/bin but no link was set to it in /usr/local/bin.  Is
this a deliberate decision or an oversight?

Thanks,

 -- Bill Wood

Posted on the users mailing list.