[plt-scheme] Cairo Library and the Ubuntu Build

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Dec 28 20:04:14 EST 2005

On Dec 28, Ittai Balaban wrote:
> Hi.
> I was wondering -- for the Ubuntu Breezy build -- is it built to use
> the Cairo library, or, for the sake of minimal dependencies, did you
> decide not to rely on it?

The build script does not change the default, which is to use libcairo
if possible.  The Ubuntu Breezy build does have it (and IIUC, cairo is
getting to be part of GTK (I think you told me that sometime)), so it
should be used.

On Dec 28, Ittai Balaban wrote:

> Let me answer myself -- I'm sure the default build doesn't use Cairo. On
> the version I just built from source, with Cairo, suddenly everything is
> smooth and appealing.

On the build log files I do see this:
  checking for X11/extensions/Xrender.h... yes
  checking for XRenderQueryExtension in -lXrender... yes
  checking X11/Xft/Xft.h usability... no
  checking X11/Xft/Xft.h presence... no
  checking for X11/Xft/Xft.h... no
  no Xft headers; Xft support disabled
  Using pkg-config for Cairo...
  Cairo flags: -I/usr/include/cairo
  Cairo libs: -lcairo
  checking for cairo_create in -lcairo... yes
  checking cairo-xlib.h usability... yes
  checking cairo-xlib.h presence... yes
  checking for cairo-xlib.h... yes
  checking png.h usability... yes
  checking png.h presence... yes

So perhaps the machine has an issue with Xft?  (I'll take this
offline.)