[plt-scheme] A crazy idea (fMUMPS)

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 27 20:44:36 EST 2005

Let me add something to this post.

Greg and I have corresponded a couple of times last month, and I
encouraged him to post here for several reasons:

1. Health informatics is an up-and-coming field. MUMPS is one of those
standards that has evolved in this area. Neither Python nor Perl nor
any of our other friends have made an in-road yet. Perhaps Scheme/FP
could be first in some app area.

2. This is probably not a one person job though some superhacker may
get very far on his own, assuming no other directions. So posting here
to look for help appeared appropriate. This is not a small job because
in the end someone will have to construct a full-flegded fMUMPS app and
demonstrate that is better than CobolMUMPS in some systematic fashion.
Greg is your way in.

3. I could even see research bits in this area. Greg mentions
verification problems, but there are clearly algorithmic problems and
many others. (Speed won't come for free here.) You might even be able
to raise NIH funding eventually.

So this is a potential target for someone who thinks Scheme/FP is a
good thing (tm) and wants to prove it with someone one day.

-- Matthias