[plt-scheme] Problems and Questions converting to PLaneT

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 27 16:50:39 EST 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Williams, M. Douglas wrote:

> I got it to work by changing the compile-subcollections in my
> info.ss file to a list of list of paths.  The info.ss file is now:
> [...]
Yes, this makes sense. I'll look into fixing planet to be tolerant of
strings there for future releases; thanks for tracking the source of
the problem down.
> Now I just need to know if there is a convenient way to compile it
> – i.e. something similar to compile-collection-zos when something
> isn’t actually in the collection path.

PLaneT for v300 automatically compiles .plt files when it installs
them (this is in contrast to PLaneT for v20x).

Now to respond to your earlier questions:
> In any case, I should be able to build the .plt file for
> distribution with PLaneT.  I used make-planet-archive to create a
> plt file.  This seems to work okay.  (I assume that ‘planet --
> create-archive …’ would have done the same thing.)
Yes it would.
> Note that I cannot remove the package at this point.  In
> particular, ‘planet --remove williams science.plt 2 0’ gives the
> following: [...]
Yuck, very bad error handling in that case. I'll fix it for future
releases.
> Just out of curiosity, why is the order of the arguments to the --
> file option different from the others with similar arguments (--
> install, --download, and  --remove)?
I had what I thought was a good reason at the time, but I think I may
no longer be persuaded by it -- it was to remind people that the file
installer thing interprets version numbers in a different way than
the others do; if you specify a particular user, package, and version
with --download, say, it fetches whatever the planet require form
would fetch and then installs it; on the other hand, --file installs
exactly what you specify. But I don't think my ordering choice has
yet actually suggested that to anybody, so it might be better to
change the order so it's consistent.

-jacob