[plt-scheme] Problems and Questions converting to PLaneT

From: Williams, M. Douglas (M.DOUGLAS.WILLIAMS at saic.com)
Date: Tue Dec 27 12:52:44 EST 2005

Problems and Questions converting to PLaneT - or why Jacob Matthews dreads
seeing my name in the From field of a post.

I am trying to get the PLT Scheme Science Collecting ready to distribute
using PLaneT and I am running into a few problems.

The science collection is a collection of modules plus two sub collections
(special-functions and random-distributions).  The directory structure is:

  science

    - <many files with scheme modules, including science.ss and
science-with-graphics.ss>

    - info.ss

    - doc.txt

    - special-functions

        - <several files with scheme modules>

        - info.ss

    - random-distributions

        - <many files with scheme modules>

        - info.ss

When this is in a collects directory (and the directory is in the
collections path), I can easily compile the collection (using
compile-collection-zos) and otherwise manipulate it using tools within PLT
scheme.

In preparation to move to PLaneT, I have moved the code out of a collects
directory (that is, the directory is not in the collections path).  Now the
questions.

---

What is the best way to compile the collection (and subcollections) the way
compile-collection-zos does?  Or, does PLaneT automatically compile the
collection for me?  (I haven't been able to get that far.)

---

In any case, I should be able to build the .plt file for distribution with
PLaneT.  I used make-planet-archive to create a plt file.  This seems to
work okay.  (I assume that 'planet --create-archive ...' would have done the
same thing.)

When I try to install it using 'planet --file science.plt williams 2 0', I
get the following error:

build-path: expects type <path, string, 'up, 'same> as 2nd argument, given:
("sp

ecial-functions"); other arguments were: #<path:C:\Documents and
Settings\willia

msm\Application Data\PLT Scheme\planet\300\300\cache\willi...

Note that I cannot remove the package at this point.  In particular, 'planet
--remove williams science.plt 2 0' gives the following:

build-path: expects type <path, string, 'up, 'same> as 2nd argument, given:
("sp

ecial-functions"); other arguments were: #<path:C:\Documents and
Settings\willia

msm\Application Data\PLT Scheme\planet\300\300\cache\willi...

with-input-from-file: cannot open input file: "C:\Documents and
Settings\william

sm\Application Data\PLT Scheme\cache.ss" (The system cannot find the file
specif

ied.; errno=2)

Both seem to be referring to one of the subcollections (in particular,
special-functions).

My info.ss file is as follows:

(module info (lib "infotab.ss" "setup")

  (define name "PLT Scheme Science Collection")

  (define blurb

    (list "A collection of modules that provide functions for "

          "numerical computing."))

  (define categories '(scientific))

  (define doc.txt "doc.txt")

  (define primary-file "science-with-graphics.ss")

  (define version "2.0")

  (define compile-subcollections

    (list (list "special-functions") (list "random-distributions")))

)

At first I suspected the compile-subcollections might be handled differently
for PLaneT (i.e. not a list of list of strings) so I changed its value to
(list "special-functions" "random-distributions").  This also fails with:

path->string: expects argument of type <path>; given "special-functions"

But, that might help anyway.

---

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

---

Just out of curiosity, why is the order of the arguments to the --file
option different from the others with similar arguments (-- install,
--download, and  --remove)?

Thanks for the help.

Doug