[plt-scheme] v300 on OpenBSD

From: Patrick Collison (patrick at collison.ie)
Date: Mon Dec 26 16:20:26 EST 2005

On 26 Dec 2005, at 19:58, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Dec 26, Patrick Collison wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile v300 of mzscheme on OpenBSD-CURRENT. I ran
>> configure with --prefix=/usr/local and --disable-foreign, because I
>> don't know of any good libffi port for OpenBSD. configure and make
>> ran without any issue.
>>

> I don't know of any problems libffi has on freebsd.
>

>> When I try to make install though, it gets stuck:
>>
>> setup-plt: No more .zos to compile for mzc
>> setup-plt: No more .zos to compile for MzLib private
>> setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by MzLib
>> setup-plt:   in /usr/local/collects/mzlib/
>> require: unknown module: #%foreign
>>

> This is a result of some libraries in mzlib that rely on foreign,
> foreign.ss itself in particular.

OpenBSD isn't a supported platform according to the site. I added

i*86-*-openbsd*) TARGET=X86; TARGETDIR=x86;;

to the libffi configure script and things seem to go okay with it. It
might be worth adding this permanently to whatever development
snapshot of libffi you're using. Still, I've heard there are issues
with libffi and the stack-manipulation stuff that OpenBSD does, so
caveat programmor.

The libffi change has also changed my problem (slightly):

setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/mzlib/private/
setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by MzLib
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/mzlib/
setup-plt: No more .zos to compile for MzScheme
setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by Net
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/net/
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/srfi/13/
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/srfi/14/
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/net/private/
setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by Parser-tools private-yacc
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/parser-tools/private-yacc/
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/parser-tools/private-lex/
setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by Parser-tools private-lex
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/parser-tools/private-lex/
setup-plt: Compiling .zos used by Parser-tools
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/parser-tools/
setup-plt:   in /usr/local/plt/collects/syntax/

It seems to be getting a little bit further, now hanging on compiling
syntax. Is there any good way of diagnosing what might be going?
Would I be right in assuming that the change in problem points
towards a problem with the compiler itself rather than the collects?

-Patrick

Posted on the users mailing list.