[plt-scheme] 300.2

From: Alexander Friedman (alex at inga.mit.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 25 10:28:33 EST 2005

On Dec 24, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> MzScheme and MrEd are now version 300.2 in the SVN repository trunk.
> The main change is an experiment in MzScheme's reporting of exceptions.
> Internally, MzScheme sets a continuation mark each time it calls a
> procedure. The default error display handler extracts a "stack trace"
> based on those marks:

Do you expect the compiler to respect these semantics?

If not, then no further questions.

If so, there are a few things to consider.

1) I have a strong suspicion that setting a continuation mark on every
procedure call will incur non-negligible overhead in compiled code,
especially in loops and such.

2) More importantly, compiler optimizations such as lambda lifting
will completly obliterate any resemblence the code had to it's source.

Posted on the users mailing list.