[plt-scheme] Why is Planet better than PLT archives?

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 5 12:47:33 EDT 2005

Matt Jadud wrote:

> I guess that's the question, really.

PLaneT is a distribution system; it uses PLT archives. So really the
question is "Why is distributing my package with PLaneT better than just
putting it on my web page?" The answer to which is, (a) PLaneT is
centralized (http://planet.plt-scheme.org) so your package gets exposed
more widely and (b) Mz/DrScheme automatically download appropriate
packages in response to the (require (planet ...)) form if they're not
already available on the local machine. That means that in writing
programs that you intend to distribute to other people, you can just
refer to the PLaneT packages you want and have  confidence that whoever
uses your program will automatically get the additional libraries they
need if they don't already have them.

Basically, before PLaneT, if you were writing a program for others to
use, you had to weigh the advantage of using a third-party library
against the pain of having to make others install it manually. PLaneT
makes you not have to do that anymore.

-jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.