[plt-scheme] Style guide for PLT scheme?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 28 08:03:22 EDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 3:31 AM, Stephen DeGabrielle wrote:

> Hi
>
>  are there style guidelines for programming in PLT-Scheme?
>
>  I find myself getting lost and confusing myself due to my own poor
> organisation, commenting and naming in my relatively small scheme
> programs.  (much of it is my own fault.)
>
>  What would list members suggest - bearing in mind that I am a
> beginner to (PLT)Scheme and my limited experience in programming is in
> java from one semester at University, and at modifying existing Perl
> 'plugins' in the Greenstone Digital Library system. (I am a librarian
> and I mostly change stuff to see what breaks when building
> collections)
>
>  I am teaching myself plt-scheme with a copy of HTDP because Scheme is
> not taught at my University.
>
>  Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>  Stephen De Gabrielle

1. Choosing HtDP is a good start. Follow the _guidelines_ and _recipes_
thoroughly.

2. When you write programs in the spirit of section 3, do yourself the
following favors:
- write a purpose statement for your complete program
- after you have developed the functions,
   put the most important at the top followed by less important ones
- put all tests at the bottom and comment them out with #| ... |#
   if you want to run it as a program

3. Ask on this list. People will help

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.