[plt-scheme] Re: XMLRPC & drscheme

From: Matthew Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 22 03:22:34 EDT 2004

Hi Roger,

Your post raises a question. I know my library isn't well behaved, in
that it allows errors like you're seeing to percolate up to the end-user
of my code, whereas it seems like I should handle those more gracefully
internally. I'll be glad to help you track down what's going on as best
I can (off-list), and if there's anything that should be included
(on-list) for others to eventually learn from the archive, I'll dump
that back here.

The question I have, though, is this: what is the "recommended" approach
library maintainers should follow in the PLT parthenon w.r.t. errors?
Should I parameterize over the error types of the libraries I rely on,
and deal with them in the most graceful way I can? Should I catch and
rethrow? Document what I deal with and what I don't, so end-users can
deal with any errors generated by my library (as well as supporting

What is good SE practice in this kind of situation?

Posted on the users mailing list.