[plt-scheme] Re: XMLRPC & drscheme

From: Matthew Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 22 03:22:34 EDT 2004

Hi Roger,

Your post raises a question. I know my library isn't well behaved, in
that it allows errors like you're seeing to percolate up to the end-user
of my code, whereas it seems like I should handle those more gracefully
internally. I'll be glad to help you track down what's going on as best
I can (off-list), and if there's anything that should be included
(on-list) for others to eventually learn from the archive, I'll dump
that back here.

The question I have, though, is this: what is the "recommended" approach
library maintainers should follow in the PLT parthenon w.r.t. errors?
Should I parameterize over the error types of the libraries I rely on,
and deal with them in the most graceful way I can? Should I catch and
rethrow? Document what I deal with and what I don't, so end-users can
deal with any errors generated by my library (as well as supporting
libraries)?

What is good SE practice in this kind of situation?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted on the users mailing list.