[plt-scheme] newby question re upgrading Dr Scheme

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Sep 7 14:20:29 EDT 2004

On Sep 5, 2004, at 8:18 AM, Tim Hanson wrote:

> hi,
>
> on my G4 Mac OS X (10.2.8) system I have a working Dr Scheme 205
> version.
>
> last year i used CVS to install and build a version (205.5?). I seem
> to remember it working at the time, but I probably have forgotten how
> I started it.
>
> just now I downloaded and installed 208. when i try to start it i get:
>
> 	standard-module-name-resolver: collection not found: "drscheme" in
> any of: ("/Users/tbh/Library/PLT Scheme/208/collects")
>
> I'm not sure where this path is coming from. (I put 208 in a different
> place. Speaking of which, am I free to pick up the directory and move
> it to another location?)
>
> I snooped for possible environment variables, but didn't find anything.
>
> Do I need to uninstall previous versions? Looks like I once "knew"
> enough to be dangerous to my (then future) self. :)

I don't believe this problem relates to an earlier installation.

What DrScheme is telling you is that its list of collection paths does
not include the "root" one that is part of the installation.  The list
does contain one entry, which is the default location for "personal"
collections.  What's missing is the second entry, which should be a
directory inside your installation.  For example, here's my machine:

burundi:~ clements$ mzscheme
Welcome to MzScheme version 208.1, Copyright (c) 2004 PLT Scheme, Inc.
 > (collection-path "non-existent-collection")
collection-path: collection not found: "non-existent-collection" in any
of: ("/Users/clements/Library/PLT Scheme/208.1/collects"
"/Users/clements/plt/collects")
 > (collection-path "drscheme")
"/Users/clements/plt/collects/drscheme"

Regarding mzscheme: it's located in the plt/bin directory, rather than
the plt/ directory where the DrScheme application lives.  It's a part
of all of our distributions.

How to fix your problem?  I suspect that the "install" script which
should be triggered by the installer is not running, or not running to
completion.  One fix might be to manually run the "Finish Install"
program in the newly installed PLT directory.

john