[plt-scheme] Installing PLT as non-admin on windows

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Oct 25 16:51:42 EDT 2004

On Oct 25, Gordon Weakliem wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:34:17 -0400, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > There is no real "for this user only" -- anyone who has access to the
> > installed PLT tree can still use the resulting setup.  Furthermore,
> > this will make things more complex -- does it have an implication
> > where the preferences are saved?  How about the per-user collection
> > path?  I think that your suggestion is not going to work since it
> > requires a pretty verbose explanation about the difference between the
> > two ways.
>
> The "current user only" option has more meaning when you do things
> like write application settings to the registry, but still has
> meaning as far as Start menu icons, a program installed for the
> current user would not show up in another user's Start menu.  It's
> true that whoever has access to the binaries could run PLT (that's
> also true on Unix, FWIW), but my point was more that PLT currently
> won't install in a restricted environment.  Saving prefs is really a
> runtime issue, not an install time issue.  PLT seems to maintain
> prefs just fine on a multi user Win 2K/XP machine.

All that would be cute, but will make things complicated for a very
small gain.  In any case, it is unrelated to whether the DLLs stay at
the PLT directory or go to the system dir.

> As far as hacking the install, where is the source for that located?
> It doesn't seem to be inside the zipped windows sources, is that
> available in CVS only?

Yes, and not the standard cvs either.  If you really want to see it,
I've put it at http://barzilay.org/tmp/plt-installer.nsi -- it's an
NSIS installer.  The setting that makes this an "all user"
installation is the "SetShellVarContext all" line, and using HKLM
instead of HKCU.  If you have any improvements, please mail me
directly.