[plt-scheme] Installing PLT as non-admin on windows

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 22 10:59:40 EDT 2004

At Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:10:17 -0600, Gordon Weakliem wrote:
> The PLT installer currently tries to write a few DLLs to the
> windows\system32 directory.  This means you can't install PLT on
> windows unless you're admin.  Do these dlls have to be in system32, or
> is this just a convenience thing?  Seems like they could go with the
> rest of the PLT executable files and an entry made in the user's PATH
> (or system path if the installer runs as admin) if required.

Yes, they could go anywhere in the user's PATH, or even just in the
same directory as the executables without adjusting PATH (though
"Create Executable" would not work right in the latter case).

The installer currently puts the DLLs in the system directory, because
that seems to be the most reliable installation mechanism.

If we start adjusting the user's PATH, for example, then I expect we'd
hear from lots of sysadmins who can't figure out how to install
DrScheme so that it works for lots of users (because they didn't adjust
PATH for every user). That will be true even if the installer process
lets you choose the install mode; many sysadmins will choose wrong,
because playing sysadmin is not their real job.

> C:\WINNT\system32\libeay32299_018.dll
> C:\WINNT\system32\libmred299_018.dll

And more: libmzsch299_018.dll, libmzgc299_018.dll, and ssleay299_018.dll.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.