[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Andre van Tonder (andre at now.het.brown.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 16 15:36:40 EDT 2004

Shriram Krishnamuthi wrote:

> This anecdotal complaint is not much different from what I hear from
> some of my own students who work in the US.  Moreover, as of last
> year, over 70% of the organizations world-wide that had achieved CMM
> Level 5 were in India.

In support of this, my own limited and anecdotal experience when working in the
industry in the late 90s and early 00s was that the imported Indian programmers
in my particular company were overall of higher quality (workwise) and better
educated than the locals.  I don't wish to generalize from this, but simply to
provide a counterexample to some opposite generalizations and innuendos in this
thread.

As for the free market theories also raised here and their purported
linkage to a certain party, excuse me a moment to laugh histerically.
While in this particular case I consider deregulation to have apositive
impact in that it transfers some wealth to places surely more in need
of it that the US (although locally it is of course designed to
transfer even more wealth into the hands of a few) the actual thugs who
are in charge in this country think nothing of destroying industry after
industry in developing countries where these interfere with this
process of concentration of wealth.

Andre

Posted on the users mailing list.