[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Steven H. Rogers (steve at shrogers.com)
Date: Sat Oct 16 14:11:01 EDT 2004

Alex Peake wrote:

>Let us add to that the mindset of the "enterprising" (entrepreneur if you like). To assume that all
>progress is made in the work hours and environment is a recipe for, well, the current situation. The
>"enterprising" find time to (as Alan Kay suggests) "invent the future". If you wait for the average
>corporation, which as we all recognize, are populated by average people, then we get average
>results.

Exactly.  As Paul Graham is fond of saying, most recently in "What the
Bubble Got Right" (http://paulgraham.com/bubble.html),  people tend to
be most productive when their contributions to the enterprises bottom
line is fairly rewarded.  The larger a company is, the harder it is to
see how individual contributions impact the bottom line.

Steve

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., steve at shrogers.com
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/zope/reflections
"Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best
way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Posted on the users mailing list.