[plt-scheme] Re: outsourcing

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 15 16:51:45 EDT 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 4:36 PM, Paul A. Steckler wrote:

>> Finally, even with all the outsourcing and the post-bubble blues the
>> prediction of the industry association is that until 2012 there will
>> not be enough software/information professionals produced in the US.
>
> With the continued fall of the dollar against the Euro, the
> Europeans will soon be outsourcing jobs to the US. :-)
>
> -- Paul

One of the big hidden truths in this presidential campaigns
is that "insourcing" is already bigger than "outsourcing".

And indeed, it's is mostly European firms that outsource
jobs that are too expensive to do in Europe:
  - financing
  - research (esp in bio/med/chem areas but also cs)
  - some traditional engineering/manufacturing (cars, for example).

I do not understand why Bush hasn't driven home the point
that the US benefits as much as it suffers. We know that
Kerry is at heart anti-freetrade.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.