[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Peter Santoro (psantoro at att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 14 22:10:04 EDT 2004

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Speaking as a college professor and parent: Let your child choose.

I should have said "suggesting to our children that they avoid" instead
of "directing are children to avoid".  I will let my children choose
their career field, but I will give them all the information that I
believe they will need to survive in a global labor pool where CEOs
favor hiring the lowest wage workers.

  As has been said before in this thread
> and as I now quote on my Web page:
>
>> Yet more on Programming: Programming is just another name  for the
>> lost art of thinking. Arctic Fidelity

Agreed, but most business managers think only in terms of FTEs.  Each
project has an FTE count and each hire is equal to 1 FTE.  All FTEs are
considered equal.  An FTE's ability to think/perform better than another
FTE is rarely considered.  This simplifies the hiring and project
planning process, as any warm body with the minimum qualifications can
fill an FTE slot.  You and I know this is a fallacy, but it is reality.

> Think of *good* CS as a subject like mathematics or (really good)
> English. Learn to think, articulate your thoughts.

Agreed.

Posted on the users mailing list.