[plt-scheme] Re: Programming for non-programmers

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 14 12:44:17 EDT 2004

At Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:29:51 -0400, "Neil W. Van Dyke" wrote:

> karczma <karczma at info.unicaen.fr> writes at 17:33 14-Oct-2004 +0200:
> > I knew some young "average programmers". Some of them do everything
> > in order - not JUST to become more productive - but to become moere
> > USEFUL, to delay the hour when they will be fired...
>
> In the US, I'd add that average (and above-average) developers
> should be worrying about the prospect of their jobs being sent overseas.

I suppose it's a theoretical worry to some (esp. until Nov...) but
anecdotally the information I've come across seems to suggest that
outsourcing overseas doesn't work very well at all. I've heard two
reasons. First, that altho the programmers are cheaper, they're
definitely not better. Second, the communication between the clients
and the programmers (which is already the source of many problems...)
is next to impossible when you're communicating from the US to Pakistan
or India or wherever.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.