[plt-scheme] Scheme or Lisp?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 5 09:17:41 EDT 2004

Let me try a short answer:

The answer depends on your budget and the nature of your goal.

If you're interested in a commercial solution with commercial support
for your tools, an IDE that looks and feels like a conventional IDE as
much as possible (projects, project builder, some very basic analysis
tools, etc), Common Lisp from Franz is probably what you want though
Bigloo Scheme may satisfy your needs.

If you're interested in a freeware/open-source solution and if you
don't mind research-y innovations, especially an occasional (2 to 3
years) shift in design (say the class system),  and if you want to
explore very innovative approaches to, say, Web programming, then you
might wish to explore PLT Scheme.

Personally, I'd ignore any blind discussions of Scheme vs Common Lisp
and focus on concrete exploration of specific implementations of the
language. [Language comparisons at the level of Common Lisp vs Scheme
are like comparisons of Ideal Communism vs Theoretical Capitalism. They
ignore the fact that ideas don't and can't exist; we can only use them
to fix our existing products.]

-- Matthias