[plt-scheme] Science Collection

From: Williams, M. Douglas (M.DOUGLAS.WILLIAMS at saic.com)
Date: Mon Oct 4 09:46:29 EDT 2004

I am currently developing a numerical computing package in PLT Scheme to
support my knowledge-based simulation work.  I am almost ready to release it
and have a few questions of the PLT Scheme community at large.

1.  My current plans are to distribute it using PLaneT.  Is this the
appropriate distribution medium?

2.  The entire science collection is rather large - several dozen modules in
eight primary areas: Mathematical Constants and Functions, Special Functions
(Error Functions, Gamma Functions, Psi Functions, and Zeta Functions),
Random Number Generation (extensions to SRFI 27: Sources of Random Bits),
Random Number Distributions (including density functions and plotting),
Statistics, Histograms (continuous (1D and 2D) and discrete, including
plotting), Chebyshev Approximations, and PLoT Scheme Extensions (histogram
data plotting, discrete function and data plotting).  Currently, it is
packaged (and documented) as a single collection with sub-collections for
the special functions and random number distributions.  Would it be better
to distribute the functionality as individual collections (presumably eight
matching the functional areas above)?

3.  In the last week, I updated all of the modules to use provide/contract
to define and enforce parameter (and result) types, ranges, and
inter-argument constraints.  I really like the concept and think it's a
great feature.  However, it seems (very subjective here) that my examples
run about an order of magnitude slower than before.  [To be fair, nothing is
pre-compiled and much of that may be overhead due to compilation time when
they are loaded.]  Does anyone have a good handle on the overhead associated
with using contracts?

4.  The documentation is about 80% complete, but there is content in all of
the sections that should give anyone a feel for what it provides.  The pdf
file is over half a meg and I felt it would not be good list etiquette (or
even possible) to attach it.  I would, however, be happy to send it to
anyone who wants to look at it.  [I don't have ready access to any servers
outside of a firewall so I can't post a link, either.  But, if anyone else
would like to do so, I can send them the document.]

5.  The code is essentially complete - just some minor clean-up needed, but
has not been made into a .plt file.  I could zip it (it happens to be
resident on a Windows box at the moment) and one could manually install it,
if anyone really wants to see the code.

Thanks in advance for any advice.