[plt-scheme] 299.21

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Nov 2 15:16:20 EST 2004

On Nov  2, Lauri Alanko wrote:
> I notice that src/foreign/foreign.c includes <inttypes.h>. Is the
> intention that the 300 series is to require a C99-compliant compiler
> for building?

It makes things simpler, but not required.  Two things are needed:

* Being able to name integers based on sizes,

* Having a 64-bit integer.

If you know of some environment that doesn't have inttypes.h and there
is some other way to specify these types, then tell me.

If you know of a system without 64 bit integers, then that will be
more difficult to accomodate.  Two possible solutions are imitate
int64 using a struct of two int32s (and get into an endian mess) or
make them into types that will raise some error when used.

Finally, at least until v300 gets released, it is possible to
completely remove the src/foreign directory and things will build
fine.  You will obviously not be able to compile Scheme files that are
based on that too (currently these are ffi, readline, plot, srfi/4).