[plt-scheme] accessing SXML->HTML in the latest version of sxml-tools for plt-scheme

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Mon May 24 16:26:24 EDT 2004

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> It's just so much more convenient to have the language be case
> sensitive by default.

I'm not really arguing that, my only serious point is that Scheme's cultural
bias towards all-lowercase identifiers, which Noel referenced, is likely to
start eroding once case-sensitivity is standard.

> The "foo.ss" library exposes Foo functionality.  You can use Foo's
> manual, keeping in mind that a `foo-bar' Scheme function is Foo's
> FooBar.

SISC does something like this when mapping Java names.  I'm not sure what it
does with names like BlahURL.  It's possible to override the default
mapping, though.  SISC might have an advantage since it only cares about a
single external environment, Java, which has a fairly consistent naming
convention.

* * *

One thing that occurs to me is that just because the reader is
case-sensitive doesn't mean that all identifiers have to be.  You could have
a system in which uses of identifiers declared or imported from a
case-sensitive source must use the exact original case, whereas other
identifiers would remain case-insensitive.  Wouldn't that give the best of
both worlds?  Of course, it's more complicated than just making all
identifiers case-sensitive.

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.