[plt-scheme] install script comments

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed May 19 17:03:40 EDT 2004

On May 19, David Van Horn wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed DrScheme 207 for Solaris.  I think
> the install script is great, however I think a couple improvements
> could be made.
> When creating symbolic links, if the file exists already as a file
> (not just a link), then installation fails.  It would be nice if
> prompted to delete the file or skip creating a link.

The link is made with `ln -sf' which should remove an existing file.
If that fails, then no prompts should help...  (I considered `ln -si',
but after reinstalling a new version you'll just want to update all

> The next time I run the install script I'm prompted to delete the plt
> directory I just created.  An option to use the directory and skip the
> extraction step would've saved a ton of time.

This is the behavior of every installer I've seen, including GUI
installers -- I've never seen an installer say "a version of ... was
found, do you want to reuse it".

(Why would you want to run the same install script twice?)