[plt-scheme] PLT Scheme 207 available

From: Paulo Matos (pocm at netvisao.pt)
Date: Wed May 19 05:54:36 EDT 2004

> Paulo Matos wrote:
> > Nice, I'm creating a Computer Algebra System for learning Mathematics,
> > something more like Wolfram Calculus Wiz than Mathematica.
> The symbolic stuff is hard to get right. I have various attempts
> lying around in various stages. The phrase "worse is better" begins
> to make sense.

Indeed, I'm having some problems with 'how to design the CaS', not how
to implement the algorithms. Most of the time I find my self rewriting
the code to fit my renewed vision of the Cas.

I've even asked a question on Maxima Mailing List but they didn't bother
answering me, so I think I'll start to peek at the code.

> > I've already done a lot of low level functions for dealing with numbers.
> We should swap then. I have some number theory stuff inspired from
> "Modern Computer Algebra" by von zur Gathen and Gerhard.
> (the link is to the old version, since that let's you "Look Inside".
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521826462/ref=sib_rdr_dp/103-8372876-0861408?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books>

Nice, I've also done some simple Number Theoretic algorithms inspired on
Elementary Number Theory by "SUMS":

Later, when I get home, I'll send the code I have in my laptop.
It was some code I developed while learning number theory.
Also have some code to compute derivatives, etc. I have that damn habit
to program the algorithms while studying maths. :-)

Now, I'm trying integrate all those algorithms into a nice package which
I called CaScheme for now. I'll share the code later on after I leave

> > Jens, if you get to implement nice function plotting and root finding,
> > minimum finding algorithms, I'll ask them from you soon, if you don't
> > mind me to use them.
> Not at all. Bug me, if I don't this "calculator" thing done in the week end.

Paulo Matos

Posted on the users mailing list.