[plt-scheme] DrScheme on a Unix server

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 11:57:37 EDT 2004

[ I already responded privately, but since this seems to be of wider
  interest... ]

In the past, we've known sysadmins to ignore installation instructions
and, based on my experience with some of the breed, it seems possible
for them to go so far as to willfully delete portions of scripts that
they believe are unnecessary. Eli's work on the distribution, of
course, makes this much less likely and I'm certainly very glad to see
that!

In the particular case of the solaris installation, if you chop the
header off of the .sh file, you are left with a .tar.gz file, just like
in the days of yore. I can certainly believe there are some who would
just do that chopping, believing that they "know better". Not to accuse
anyone in particular, but I believe it's possible.

As further evidence, the symptoms described sound just like those you'd
get if you didn't run the installation script.

Robby