[plt-scheme] web application programming in scheme

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 11:41:47 EDT 2004

At Mon, 17 May 2004 08:38:11 -0700, Don Felgar wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2004, Mike Burns wrote:
>
> > Work is (very slowly) underway on mod_mzscheme, which will be implemented
> > such that servlets written for the PLT Web server will just work under
> > mod_mzscheme. A good idea is to write for the PLT Web server for now, then
> > switch to mod_mzscheme if you absolutely need to, once it is updated and
> > released.
>
> Have you considered server affinity?  Here is my documentation about
> this problem:
> http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2003-August/003293.html.
>  In summary, Apache and PLT servlets operate in an incompatible
> manner.  The PLT servlet model requires that a single server process
> store all continuations.  With Apache a webapp must be stateless
> across multiple server processes; Apache makes no guarantee that any
> particular request will go to a particular server, though in practice
> keepalive means the browser usually talks to one Apache process.

Turns out the story is a little bit more interesting than that. It is
possible to reconcile these differences. Check out:

  http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~robby/pubs/papers/jase2003-mfgkf.pdf

(this is a pre-release draft; the full version of this paper should be
out someday)

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.