[plt-scheme] SCRIPT elements & evaporating CDATA sections [was RE: html in servlets]

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun May 16 21:47:30 EDT 2004

Anton van Straaten <anton at appsolutions.com> writes at 20:43 16-May-2004 -0400:
[...]
> This still isn't a perfect solution, since e.g. read-xml can still
> fail on ordinary HTML with script, as opposed to XHTML.  However,
> fixing it more thoroughly would require more intelligence in xml.ss;

I don't know if this would be any help, but... on my TODO list is an
"shtml->plt-xml" (SHTML is the new variant of SXML used by HtmlPrag to
represent HTML).  HtmlPrag tries to parse "script" elements in the way
that popular Web browsers do, which may or may not be what you want.  If
anyone has a near-term need for that, let me know, and I'll bump up the
priority.

Longer-term, I want to find an easier way to use SXML with PLT servlets
and other PLT XML-related tools, since there's a wealth of work being
done with SXML tools.

[...]
> treat elements like SCRIPT specially in the HTML context.  The best
> way to do that might be DTD-directed, which is of course not so
> trivial.
[...]

I think the core problem is that de facto HTML bears only superficial
resemblance to XML, and they're both surprisingly complicated beasts. :)

Posted on the users mailing list.