[plt-scheme] 299.7

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun May 16 09:36:09 EDT 2004

At Thu, 13 May 2004 17:26:48 +0400, Alex Ott wrote:
> but i speak about not only encoding, but also about locale - for example, i
> could need to read numbers in russian locale, without setting it program wide

In v299 so far, a locale is used only for its encoding and collation
facets.

I can see why attaching a locale to a port is useful for parsing, but
for now, I'm inclined to leave such associations out of the core. I
imagine that a library could implement "localized port" as a sub-type
of "port". (MzScheme doesn't yet provide a convenient way to create
port sub-types, but it should.)

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.