[plt-scheme] a Chez vs. PLT syntax-rules incompatibility

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun May 16 09:30:09 EDT 2004

At Thu, 13 May 2004 14:22:51 -0400, Benderjg2 at aol.com wrote:
> The above version gives the following error under PLT:
> > syntax: too many ellipses in template in: ...
> [...]
> I verified that the first version does work under Petite Chez Scheme.
> But is the a bug in PLT's syntax rules? Or something that really shouldn't
> work, even in Chez, but just does? (e.g. something that is a bad idea.)

It's a documented extension of Chez (compared to R5RS), where an
identifier must be followed by "at least as many ellipses" in a
template as in the pattern, whereas R5RS requires "as many ellipses".

I had forgotten about this particular extension. My usual strategy is
to implement all extensions found elsewhere (as long as they're
consistent), and I'll look into implementing this one.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.