[plt-scheme] DrScheme Interactions window

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat May 8 15:00:38 EDT 2004

> > Is there a way to set DrScheme so that when it opens an existing Scheme
> > file, it goes directly to the Interactions window and hides the Definitions
> > window? I'm working in DrScheme v. 204

If perchance you want the Interactions window to be a semi-polished user
interface for a text-oriented application, you might be able to use the
PLT Framework or modify the DrScheme sources for this without too much
trouble.  (If you don't already know class.ss object system, the sources
are really intimidating, IMHO.)

I'm not sure that all the neatest manuals are bundled with DrScheme.
Full list is at:  http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/

There's something appealing about having a stealth DrScheme disguised as
a simple application text window, especially for student programs and
research prototyping, where DrScheme debugging magic is silently waiting
to spring into action on an error.

(Think of it as a poor-person's Lisp Machine or Smalltalk workstation.
Some production Smalltalk apps would actually put debugging menu items
or buttons on their UI windows to open Smalltalk "inspectors", data
structure browsers, on the window objects themselves.  That's what the
"i" icon in the lower right corner of
"http://www.neilvandyke.org/smalltoons/screenshot-normal.png" is.)

Posted on the users mailing list.