[plt-scheme] Are continuations discussed in HtDP?

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 29 13:48:48 EST 2004

>    Do you think that for CompSci freshmen - the continuations are to
>    be taught, or it turned out *practically* that this is an
>    overkill?

I am designing an HTDP-based course for first-year university
students, but have not taught it yet. Nonetheless, I feel safe in
saying that I would not teach continuations, even in the "enrichment"
materials I intend to prepare for the better students. In a full-year
sequence, I might (*might*) put them into the optional materials near
the end, but not in a one-term course leading, as HTDP intends, to
another programming language. No matter how attractive these features
of Scheme may be to us, we have to think about the overall context of
our pedagogy, and judge the effectiveness of our choices for all
students. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.