[plt-scheme] The "Stroustrup" introduction to (PLT) Scheme.

From: Thaddeus L. Olczyk (olczyk at interaccess.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 23:32:51 EST 2004

When learning C++ one typically encounters two books.
One by Stan Lipman one by Bjarne Stroustrup.

The division was fairly straightforward : you read Lipman
if you didn't know C; and you read Stroustrup if you
knew C.

Everyone I knew who had read Lipman and knew C had a
very hard time of it, because they were bored out of their minds
reading the C section. Part of the problem is that the C and C++
parts were inextricably woven.

I first learned Lisp circa 1978, from a book called "Let's Talk
Lisp" by someone called something like Siklossy. I didn't get a
chance to actually use it since I didn't have access to a computer.
Later I got some programming in, but not that much compared to
other languages. Mostly interacting with Reduce and Macsyma.
Later I used Lisp to write Emacs macros and then did some CL
and a little CLOS programming. That besides the fact that I have been
programming in general for many years.

Every so often I try to learn Scheme in the little spare time I
have. The thhig is that I look at books, and
wind up skipping the parts that are very similar to Lisp. Then
I wind up getting confused in the examples by the parts which
differ from Lisp.

What seems to me to be a better way is to find the "Stroustrup"
equivalent of a Scheme book for Lisp programmers.

Thaddeus L. Olczyk