[plt-scheme] [OT] duplicate email

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Mar 24 17:55:06 EST 2004

On Mar 24, Doug Orleans wrote:
> Anton van Straaten writes:
>  > I run a list using LISTSERV software, and it automatically sets
>  > the Reply To address if it doesn't already exist.

Mailman has that option too, but:

> This is Bad.  http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Yes.  I always took the Reply-To: thing is something that should be
used by non-technical lists, a perfect example is one of the thousands
of yahoo hosted lists -- without a Reply-To: header those things will
collapse and die.  But lists like this I think that the above page is
a good explanation for why it shouldn't be used.

This is why I posted that tiny procmail recipe -- I ignored that thing
for a long time, but now I find it very useful.  I really don't mind
replies that are duplicated, the second mark is clearly marked as a
"***DUPLICATE***", which has the added benefit of letting me known
that some message was a reply to my message.

(Yes, emailers can be much better, but relying on smart emailers is as
good as relying on good browsers...)