[plt-scheme] [OT] duplicate email

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Mar 24 11:20:33 EST 2004

On Mar 24, Doug Orleans wrote:

> Bradd W. Szonye writes:
>  > By the way, please do not Cc: me when you reply. I already get a
>  > perfectly good copy of the e-mail from the list software.
>
> Didn't mail alias software used to do the right thing here, and not
> send copies to addresses that appeared elsewhere in the To:/Cc:/Bcc:
> headers?

There is no way to do that.  The email I'm now sending will be sent to
two different places, and the list server can not assume that you had
one delivered already.  The only thing you can do is on your side, for
example, use procmail with something like:

  # === duplicates ===
  :0 Whc: msgid.lock
  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
  :0 a
  {
    :0 fhw
    | formail -I "Subject: *** DUPLICATE *** $SUBJECT"
    :0:
    $DEFAULT
  }

> Is there a way to enable this option in the plt-scheme list's mail
> software?  (Is it written in PLT Scheme?  If not, why not?)

It is mailman.  It might sound tempting to hack a mailing list in
Scheme, or some other mail-related stuff, but there is a simple
solution -- try it.  After doing that, my conclusion is that I want to
be as far as possible from these things.