[plt-scheme] gdb wrapper and typing

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 08:21:21 EST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 1:02 AM, Thaddeus L. Olczyk wrote:

> I recently listened to the Swine before Perl talk, and have a couple
> of questions about it.
>
> 1) He mentioned a Web server wrapper for gdb. Where can I get
>     the source?

It's included in the distribution. See collects/web-server, though be
warned that the code is undergoing major renovation.

> 2) One of the few things that keep me from using a Scheme has
>     been typing. I really like the OCaml language, especially the
>     way typing is handled ( shows type on evaluation, won't compile
>     untill typing is correct ). The thing is that the language is fun
>     to use, but when it comes to using the envioronment, it is very
>     clunky. I code very fast but then get bogged in details like
>     linking in a dll. So I kinda would like to try something else.
>     Does the typing in PLT come close to this?

No we code thrice and think later, like all dynamically typed people.

>    Another thing, it seemed to me that to take advantage of the
>    typing, you had to use something called MrSpidey. I really
>    really like using Emacs with an interpreter runnaing as an
>    inferior process. Can I still get at type info this way?

No. MrFlow (Spidey's successor) is still intimately tied to the
graphical interface of DrScheme, and we would be hard-pressed to
present the value flow graph in an Emacs-style setting.

-- Matthias, who did everything with Emacs for 15 years except for eat
and sleep

Posted on the users mailing list.